Commenting Policy

So, here's my Commenting Policy (updates will be noted at the top of this post as they are made, and the comments policy will available from the top menu tabs).

============================================
You are commenting at my personal blog.

You do not have a "right" to comment here -- you have the privilege of doing so -- a privilege which I reserve the right to revoke at any time. (And no, this is not an abridgment of your freedom of speech -- you are free to create your own blog and say and do whatever you want there -- at your personal blog.)

I like vigorous, informed, respectful discussions, and I am not afraid of disagreement. I invite you to respectfully challenge me on fallacious thinking, shoddy statistics, personal opinions expressed as fact, etc.. I am rather notoriously willing to engage patiently and civilly with people, even when we don't agree.

That said, engaging in the following practices and behaviors will usually result in your comments being edited or deleted outright.:
  • Using misogynist, sexist, racist, homophobic, trans-phobic, fat-phobic, able-ist, or classist slurs or epithets (when using them toward any individual or group, rather than referring to such language for the purpose of discussing it). Example: If the best argument you can come up with is "You're a fat hairy-legged pervert", your comment will be deleted as a waste of server space and bandwidth.
  • Threatening me or any commenter on my blog, overtly or subtly.
  • Trolling, sock-puppeting, comment-spamming, posting hate speech, or making frequent off-topic comments which are simply argumentative or belligerent and which you can not (or do not) tie to the original post in some logical way (aka thread de-railment).
Multiple offenses of the above will probably result in you being banned from commenting altogether.

And yes, I get to be the sole judge of this. It's my blog.

Posted byPortlyDyke at 9:36 PM  

13 comments:

splord said... May 4, 2008 at 7:13 AM  

Okay. :)

Anonymous said... May 4, 2008 at 7:14 AM  

You go! I love it when folks get all empowered and firm!

Kamrin

Anonymous said... May 4, 2008 at 8:29 AM  

Great comment policy! Sorry, I've not commented here before, but I just wanted to warn you about Haloscan comments. I used to have them on my old blogger blog, and I had a spot of bother with them, namely because they have adverts on them. I don't know how you feel about that, but I didn't like it even though it was just one banner ad at the bottom of the comment thread.

Something else Haloscan don't tell you: they automatically delete all comments after 4 months - So, if you want to keep a record of discussions which have taken place, they are no good. I couldn't find a way to over-ride the 4 month delete thing, but I'm a bit of a technophobe, so there might be a way, I just never found it.

Another thing, on blogger blogs, once installed, if you decide you don't like it Haloscan is hell to get uninstalled - really hard work. I mean, I managed it eventually, but the formatting was all out for a while and it was a real headache to get fixed.

Sorry to put a downer on it, but I just thought I should warn you. Haloscan does have good points, like you can see people's IP addresses etc, but I wouldn't use it again.

Love your blog, by the way!

Debs x

Landlady of Fat said... May 4, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

Hehe. I love it.

Maybe I should do one. :)

Oh and don't do haloscan!! I like blogger's much better -- spoken by one who's had both.

Specifically -- it's because when blogger emails you the entire follow-up comment.

Haloscan doesn't. Very annoying.

NameChanged said... May 4, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

But Portly.....I want to say hateful things at you under the guise of commenting...you are just ruining my fun.
/randyson and or jasper

I think this comment policy is great. If I had an audience larger than 10, I would institute a similar one.

As for Haloscan, I think if you feel it will serve your purposes more than blogger comments, I say go for it.

:)

Anonymous said... May 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM  

I don't like your current comments-system or Haloscan.

Your current comments show up in a tiny font in a tiny box that I can't enlarge. Either I strain my eyes on tiny type and page down frequently, or I enlarge the type and page down even more frequently.

Haloscan lets me enlarge the comment-box, but still defaults to tiny type.

I don't like any system that opens a new window for comments. Is there one you could use that just navigates to a page showing comments under your post, or at least just opens a new tab with comments under your post?

PortlyDyke said... May 4, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

"Is there one you could use that just navigates to a page showing comments under your post, or at least just opens a new tab with comments under your post?"

Yes, anonymous, there is -- just click on the title of the post and all comments and trackbacks will show on the resulting page, directly under the post.

PortlyDyke said... May 4, 2008 at 9:28 PM  

Also, depending on what browser you use, you can resize the text in the comments window (in firefox, it's ctrl+)-- although you cannot resize the blogger comments window itself.

Friðvin said... May 6, 2008 at 7:53 AM  

Damn! No sock-puppetry? That's the one thing in life I'm actually creative at.

#2 is grammar.

:lol:

Friðvin said... May 6, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

And I was going to vote for Haloscan but I see polls are closed. Looks like it won out anyway. As much as I detest it sometimes, I still prefer it and it's a lot of fun to use it to delete and ban a troll.

Anonymous said... May 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

Spell "the" correctly. It's annoying.

PortlyDyke said... May 6, 2008 at 3:39 PM  

Spell "the" correctly. It's annoying."

Can't. It's a joke -- about "teh gay"

Anonymous said... May 13, 2008 at 6:02 PM  

No fair! *I* get to be the fat hairy-legged..

Seriously, this sounds like a sensible policy, and BTW, don't get all modest on us about the PDA post, it deserved the attention it got.

NancyP

Post a Comment